The Riot Ensemble (UK)
4th International Workshop for Young Composers AntiquaNova 2022
Musica AntiquaNova Foundation announces the Fourth International Workshop for Young Composers AntiquaNova 2022, to take place in Choele Choel (Río Negro, Argentina) from December 12th through 17th of 2022.
The workshop, to be held as part of the fourth edition of the Distat Terra Festival (Press here to check the video of our last edition!), is open to composers of any nationality. The workshop will be led by guest composer William Dougherty (USA) and ensembles in residence Quartetto Maurice (Italy) and The Riot Ensemble (UK).
Selected composers, in two categories, active and auditing students, will be chosen through a call for scores.
The activities during the workshop will be:
1. Compose a new piece for string quartet or ensemble (min. duration 5 minutes, max. duration 12 minutes). The ensemble line-up is: flute (bass, alto, picc.), clarinet (incl. bass), 1 percussion player, accordion, harpsichord, violin and cello.
2. Rehearsals and premiere of all new student works by one of the ensembles in residence (assigned after selection).
3. Individual and collective classes with the guest composer.
4. Individual presentations given by all selected composers on their own music.
5. Free entrance to all concerts, exhibitions, talks and rehearsals at the Distat Terra Festival.
1. Individual and collective classes with the guest composer.
2. Individual presentations given by all selected composers on their own music.
3. Free entrance to all concerts, exhibitions, talks and rehearsals at the Distat Terra Festival.
The fee (see details below) for taking part in the workshop includes accommodation and meals (breakfast, lunch and dinner), from December 11th (check-in) through December 18th (check-out) of 2022, in Choele Choel. Selected composers are responsible for their own travel expenses to and from Argentina/Choele Choel, with arrival on December 11th, 2022.
Interested participants should complete the application form: https://forms.gle/u2f1tZD9PQhwnxX97 with all requested materials, as follows:
1. Short CV in PDF format and in English or Spanish. Restricted to 1 page.
2. Score and recording of two representative pieces by the applicant. Please use public links to google drive, dropbox, youtube/vimeo or soundcloud (links without deadline or password)
3. Indicate if you want to participate in the selection process as Active or Auditing composer.
4. In case of not being selected as an active composer please also indicate if you would like to participate in the selection process as auditing composer.
5. Indicate full name, nationality, contact email and website (optional).
6. If fully notated scores are not a part of your compositional practice, please include instead a short description of how you communicate your musical ideas to instrumentalists and any applicable visual representation (sketches/drawings/etc).
We particularly encourage individuals from historically underserved, marginalized, and disadvantaged groups to apply.
Deadline for application: October 1st, 2022.
Results will be announced by October 5th, 2022.
Selected active composers must send the scores and parts of his/her/their new pieces for ensemble/string quartet before Nov 5th, 2022.
US $ 500 (five hundred U.S. Dollars). We offer a reduction of US 200 (two hundred American dollars) for applicants who are traveling from (or working in) countries with low-resource or less favorable economies. Discount to be consulted and approved by the festival.
For argentinian applicants the workshop fee is $35.000.- (treinta y cinco mil pesos argentinos).
US $ 350 (three hundred and fifty U.S. Dollars). With a reduction of US 100 (one hundred American dollars) for applicants who are traveling from (or working in) countries with low-resource or less favorable economies. Discount to be consulted and approved by the festival.
For argentinian applicants the workshop fee is $25.000.- (veinticinco mil pesos argentinos).
In case of being selected as a student, an advance payment of 25% of the corresponding fee is expected before October 20th of 2022.
For questions: email@example.com
More info: distatterrafestival.com
The Riot Ensemble: https://www.riotensemble.com/
Quartetto Maurice: http://www.quartettomaurice.com/it
William Dougherty: https://www.williamdougherty.com/